The Cobra MKII has been completely re-engineered, making it a far superior retractable tool lanyard. Tests now show it can handle an impact load in excess of 200kgs, across three separate drop tests on the same reel, proving its operational strength.
The Cobra is dynamically rated for hand tools weighing up to 5kgs, providing a safety Factor that is over 40 times the maximum tool weight!
As its performance and durability are critical in abrasive and intensive field applications, every component has been carefully selected to reflect this.
- The Cobra MKII now benefits from a structural skeletal frame within a rubberised ABS synthetic housing
- Woven stainless steel (PU sleeved) wire cable for better flexibility
- Selected Japanese stainless steel main-spring (30 times stronger than standard stainless) providing persistent smooth operation
- Internal wire to drum high-impact termination assembly (patent pending)
Cobra MKII design allows the reel housing to be retro-fitting onto any harness webbing straps, specialist harness belt arrangements, normal belts and holsters. Either slide the belt through the slot or simply unscrew and open the belt back slot (bridge) on the rear of the casing, and feed your belt or webbing strap through the slot, close and re-fasten.
The reel uses an exclusively woven 1.9mm stainless steel wire cable that is specifically made to be extremely flexible, whilst also providing abrasion resistance properties for strength and increased longevity of operational use.
The wire used in the Cobra MKII is encapsulated in a Polyurethane (PU) coating, providing a microscopic smooth surface that enables it to surpass the required Conductivity and Residence testing.
The cable is terminated with an internal wire to drum high-impact assembly (Patent pending), combined with swaged wire/swivel end termination for improved security and performance.
Cable retraction is greatly improved with a new larger more powerful specially selected Japanese stainless steel main-spring (30 times stronger than standard stainless steel) increasing life, giving a smoother operation and thus enabling it to handle larger tool loads and constant use.
The new housing uses a structurally up-rated fully rubberised ABS synthetic housing, benefiting from a highly strengthened skeletal frame body and moulding supports. Resulting in a shell that’s extremely robust, and has strong impact capabilities for use in tough environments and highly repetitive operations.
Other features include all new and upgraded components: axle bearing/shaft, cable drum, exit bush, strengthening plate, securing nuts (moulded into internal housing) anodised screws and washer, rubbers, belt back slot (bridge), swivel, etc.
The Cobra MKII is supplied with a 4.5mmØ stainless steel swivelling end link which is swaged to the wire cable for superior strength. The swivel eliminates cable twist and prevents connector minor axis gate loading. The Swivel also provides maximum selection/configuration options for tool attachment via the use of a suitable connector.
- Lanyard length: 1.25m when full extended (without connectors)
- Rated for hand-tools up to: 5kgs (Dynamically tested - see testing pages)
- Electrical Conductivity and Resistance Test*: Dry > 200 Giga-ohms / Wet > 70 Giga-ohms *Wiring regulations (BS7671).
Live working hand tools (EN 60900)
- Individually serialised for clear easy inspection, full traceability and control
- Issued with a ‘Declaration of Conformity’ product certificate and ‘Final Inspection’ sheet.
- Configured to work with all leading edge tool tethers, belts and holsters
- Weight 0.20kgs (without connectors)
- Size: Housing: 82mmØ / Housing Depth 30mm (Including belt back slot (bridge): 42mm)
All Leading Edge tool tethering products are CE-Approved and manufactured under European Council Machine Directive 2006/42/EC.
Product testing follows artile 11b of the European Council Directive 89/686/EEC in accordance with BS EN 364:1993 — the highest standards already in place for PPE.
All certified Leading Edge products boast a whopping 47x safety factor. We purposefully over engineer our products to have greater resillience than a real wordl scenario would require — this gives them superior in-service lifespan and fully guarantees your safety in daily use.
Declaration of Conformity
Every item that leaves our factory comes with full documentation containing technical specifications, serial numbers, testing methods, working load limits and inspection results proving it has passed all necessary requirements for work at height